Sunday, July 23, 2006

London calling


Every year the American Inns of Court (http://www.innsofcourt.org/) selects two young lawyers to go to London to shadow barristers and judges for six weeks to get a real insider's view into the workings of the English legal system. In 2005, I was lucky enough to serve as a Pegasus Scholar. You can read more about my six weeks in legal London at http://www.innsofcourt.org/Content/Default.aspx?Id=832. While in London, I was a "mini-pupil" for two commercial sets of barristers: 7KBW and Fountain Court -- whose practices were similar to my practice at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. My local Inn of Court is the Charles S. Desmond Inn of Court (http://www.innsofcourt.org/inns/csdesmondinn/).

My experience was useful because I recently represented an American television station in a non-compete dispute involving parties in the United Kingdom, which was litigated in the WDNY and successfully mediated before it was litigated in London as well. A copy of the decision and order granting an ex parte TRO in favor of our client is found at (2006 WL 145912). I also represent a large English manufacturer who has been sued in the WDNY on a contract matter. I am available to work with barristers and solicitors in need of New York legal advice (and I am far more cost-effective than large New York City firms -- and offer the same or better legal services). I am also available to work with American clients in need of legal services in the UK and abroad.

Clink on these links to see what I learned about New York law from a London barrister - reprinted with permission from the Skadden website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home